Colder temperatures and wet weather pose a variety of challenges to farmers during the ewes last trimester, lactation and neonatal lamb. Nutrition plays a vital role in the survival of both ewe and lamb in bad weather. Irwin’s Feed technical team have specifically formulated feeds to meet the energy and nutrient requirements to support the ewe, developing foetus and during lactation.
Tips for optimising lamb survival
1) Good Quality forage – An analysis of forage will help to provide information on the quality and requirements for additional supplementation. Good quality forage should provide 11.5-12 MJ/KG DM.
2) Adequate Nutrients - Additional energy and key nutrients are essential for optimal foetal growth and development. Vitamin E and Selenium are an important aspect in the utilisation of brown adipose tissue by the lamb within the first few days of life, which is essential for its survival against colder temperatures in the first days of life. High quality additional protein should be provided at 16-20% within the diet. Provide a balanced ration with additional nutrients from fortified feeds such as Irwin Feeds Coarse Ewe and Lamb or lactating Ewe nuts.
3) Increased Energy Demands – 75% of foetal development occurs in the last trimester, insufficient energy levels supplied within the ewe’s diet can lead to problems, particularly for triplets which can lead to pregnancy toxaemia.
4) Colostrum – Appropriate nutrition is also essential for the production of high quality colostrum, vital to be received by the lamb from the ewe within the first 6 hours of life. Colostrum provides energy and antibodies to help support the immune system and prevent hypothermia.
5) Shelter and Heat – During the colder temperatures and wet weather it is important to ensure adequate shelter and heat is available for both ewe and lambs. Heat lamps are often a helping hand during colder weather for new born lambs. It is important however, to remember to avoid overstocking as this can increase the risk of disease.
What Irwin’s Feed products are suitable?
Irwin’s Feed Coarse Ewe and Lamb – Contains high quality cooked cereals to increase palatability and digestibility
Irwin’s Feed Lactating Ewe Nuts – Fortified in Megalac protected fat. Research has shown feeding ewes Megalac results in increase milk production and increased lamb growth rates due to the higher energy levels available.
Both Irwin’s Feed course ewe and lamb and lactating ewe nuts contain organic selenium, chelated minerals and Safmannan yeast.
Irwin’s Feed technical team are available for farm consultations, ration and forage analysis. Contact our helpline +44 028 3754 8276 or email@example.com